Having a slow internet should be listed as one of the ways to die slowly. No one wants a slow internet and when it happens, we feel like crashing the router with a mallet. If the problem with the internet cannot be solved by your internet service provider, you can consider ways to increase Wi-Fi speed on your phone.
When considering the things to do to increase the Wi-Fi speed, some things are out of your control and others that you can affect. Therefore, several small tweaks can be done to increase Wi-Fi speed.
In cases where the Wi-Fi connection is slow, a mobile phone will consume the battery power faster than normal or show that it is connected to the internet without performing the normal functions fast enough.
The following are the few tweaks that you can do to boost the Wi-Fi signal on your phone.
What are the main reasons for the slow Wi-Fi connection on your phone?
Poor router position
A poor router positioning in your home or office can be the reason why your phone is getting poor Wi-Fi speeds. WiFi signals are easily blocked by physical objects like walls and doors. WiFi also has a range, the far away from the router you are the slower the internet connection. In case of blockage or being out of range, the signal strength can be used to diagnose this. If the WiFi icon is full, slow WiFI connection on your phone has other causes rather than the signal.
If there are several routers in the same vicinity broadcasting via the same channel, then the network might become congested and reduce the Wi-Fi performance for all the routers. This is a major problem where there are several routers in a very small area like in apartments.
The congestion problem can be solved by identifying and selecting the best channel for the router. This can be accomplished by using the Wi-Fi analyzer app on Android or Airport Utility on IOS devices.
Wi-Fi noise interference
There are several devices in our homes that produce noises that can interfere with the router’s WiFi signals. These devices include microwaves, cordless phones, and wireless doorbells among other devices.
The devices’ noise interferes mainly with the 2.4GHz band that is available in most of the routers today. They however do not interfere with the 5GHz band. If your phone is experiencing slow connections you can check for interference from home appliances.
Getting connected to a slow network
If your WiFi connection is being shared among several devices, the WiFi connection might become slow. These devices hog the bandwidth especially when the devices are being used for Wi-Fi intense activities like streaming or gaming.
To solve this problem you can set a Wi-FI network priority on either your iPhone or Android. This can be done using a WiFi prioritizer, a Wi-Fi switcher, or Wifi connection manager. Setting the priority ensures that the phone chooses the best network when in range.
You have a slow phone
Most of the apps and websites that are available on our phone utilize lots of phone’s processor speed. If you find that the phone is slow, it is good to explore the phone’s capacity. Sometimes we might be asking too much from our phone and the phone can’t keep up.
It is good to ensure that your phone is not conducting background downloads or syncing that is taking most of the bandwidth. To manage download schedules, you can use a download manager. It is also good to ensure that your phone is running on updated apps to ensure the phone is fast enough. You can also uninstall the apps that you do not use.
Use of a slow VPN
If you have set up a VPN on your phone, it might be reducing your phone’s Wi-Fi speed. This is so, especially for the free and cheap VPN providers. It is therefore great to get a premium VPN provider to ensure that it does not affect your internet speeds.
How to Increase WiFi Speed on your Phone
There are several ways of boosting the Wi-Fi speeds on your phone. Some of the main ones will be to solve the causes of slow Wi-Fi speeds on your phone that are identified above. To increase the Wi-Fi speed you can try the following:
- Restart the Wi-Fi router and check on reconnection if the Wi-Fi speeds are back to normal.
- Ensure that there is no interference with your Wi-Fi connection from home devices described above.
- Ensure that you keep your router’s login information private. This makes it impossible for unauthorized people from using your Wi-Fi.
- Update your phone software (Android or IOS) to the latest version.
- It is also important to check if your phone’s case is blocking the Wi-Fi signal. Metallic cases block Wi-Fi signals and thus if you have one remove it and see if there will be a change in Wi-Fi speeds.
- Update your router’s firmware to the latest definitions for faster Wi-Fi connection
- Check your phone for any apps that are running background updates, downloading or syncing and stop them if they are not very important for day to day operation of your phone
- Clear the phone’s history, cache and cookies to ensure that the stored pages do not hog your bandwidth
- You can also change your browser to a different browser. We recommend moving to a faster or more efficient browser such as Chrome, Opera Mini, Dolphin among others
- Make a change to your phone to prioritize the faster 5GHz band on an android phone. IOS devices automatically select the faster network band.
- Finally, you can install the Remo MORE app to boost Wi-Fi speed. This is done by clicking on the ‘enhance button’ in the app.
The Wi-Fi connection on your mobile phone might be slow due to the reasons explored in this article. Solving the challenges identified can go a long way in solving the Wi-Fi connection problems. As seen in the article, the ways to improve the Wi-Fi speed on our mobile phones are very easy and practical and will not cost you a dime.
Getting a good router will also ensure that you do not pull off your hair in frustration from poor internet. You can follow the guidance on https://technologyreviewer.com for choosing the right router for your home.