RAW file recovery is an advanced method of data recovery that is typically only used when the other, more popular methods have failed. Moreover, it’s the only viable solution for recovering data from a file system that has become RAW after prolonged usage.
In most cases, a file system turns RAW as a result of logical data corruption. In this case, the affected drive is rendered inaccessible and unrecoverable by traditional means – including the data contained within.
As a result, your only course of action is to attempt a RAW file recovery to repair the drive and regain access to the corrupted files. While there are a number of advantages to RAW data recovery, there are some disadvantages you should be aware of, too.
Pros of RAW File Recovery
While RAW file recovery is best left to advanced users and even IT professionals, there are numerous advantages to using this method of data restoration. Some of the biggest benefits include:
- Highly Effective: Once initiated, a RAW file recovery can be an incredibly effective means of data recovery.
- Affordable: Although you’ll likely need to rely on a third-party data recovery solution, you’ll save a tremendous amount of money compared to professional data recovery services.
- Fast: Depending on your exact system specs and the third-party software you’re using, most RAW file restorations can be completed in a matter of minutes. This ensures that you can get your system back up and running as soon as possible.
- Convenient: With the do-it-yourself approach, you’ll be able to begin the file recovery process at a time that is most convenient for you, thereby letting you minimize downtime and giving you the opportunity to work at your own pace. On the other hand, a third-party data recovery service might not have any openings for days or weeks – and you’ll have to go without your system the whole time.
Cons of RAW File Recovery
Despite the numerous benefits of RAW data recovery, there are also several notable drawbacks. This includes:
- Missing Filenames: In most cases, a RAW file recovery isn’t capable of reconstructing original filenames. Any shortcuts, links, or references to these files will be rendered null and void.
- Incorrect Timestamps: RAW file recovery doesn’t restore the original date and timestamps. While this isn’t a problem in most cases, those that rely on such historic records will need to find an alternate solution.
- New folder and file structure: Unfortunately, RAW file recovery isn’t capable of reconstructing previous folders or even the original file structure of the corrupted disk in question. As such, any recovered files will be arranged according to the new folders and file structure.
- Success is not guaranteed: Due to the advanced and sophisticated nature of RAW data recovery, it’s important to note that success is not guaranteed. In extreme cases, your data might be rendered unrecoverable. Novice users might even cause irreversible damage when attempting a RAW file restoration.