Xiaomi always failed to provide regular Android updates to its smartphones and tablets. Many of the Xiaomi devices still runs on Android 4.4.4 KitKat OS without any further updates. But here is something to cheer about for Xiaomi Redmi 2 users as they experience the latest Android 6.0 Marshmallow firmware with the help of unofficial CM13 custom ROM. The ROM is currently in beta stage so you can find some bugs and issues. So, without much wasting time let’s proceed to install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Xiaomi Redmi 2 smartphone.
Disclaimer: Installation of custom ROMs may voids your company warranty. It may also damage or brick your handset if doesn’t follow the steps correctly. So, understand the amount of risk and proceed.
The below update tutorial is only for Xiaomi Redmi 2. Don’t try to flash on any other Android smartphone.
This process will factory reset your device. So, it is advisable to backup all the important data like contacts, applications, settings, SMS, etc.
The charge percentage on your device should be maintain at least 70%.
Make sure Materialised TWRP custom recovery is installed on your device. You can download from here.
How to Update Xiaomi Redmi 2 to Android 6.0 Marshmallow with CM13 Firmware
1. Download Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM zip file and Gapps ARM 6.0 micro package to your PC.
2. Now connect the device with PC using standard USB cable and copy both the zip files to the phone storage.
3. Now you need to power off the device and boot into TWRP custom recovery. This can be done by pressing and holding the Power button and Volume down button.
4. Once in TWRP recovery, choose ‘Wipe’ and then select Dalvik Cache, data and Cache then swipe to wipe.
5. Now go back to recovery main menu and choose “Install”. Here select zip files from device storage one after another.
6. Once the files are flashed, reboot the device into normal mode.
Congratulation. You have successfully installed CM13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Xiaomi Redmi 2.
Via- XDA Forums