Many owners of modern dishwashers often notice unpleasant white spots and film that remain on the dishes after washing.
Sometimes, such residue is a precipitate formed by metal salts when we heat water. Most of the times, these metals are calcium and magnesium, and if water is oversaturated with these other elements – it may become “hard”.
If you notice the film all the time – it is important to quickly find the cause and try to eliminate it. There are several reasons why these white residues may appear on the dishes.
- The adjustment which determines the water hardness in the system was done incorrectly – regulator can be set to softer water than the one that actually flows in your pipes.
- There is no special water softener in the appropriate section in the dishwasher. If this happens, the indicator on the panel may indicate about it (if the model of your dishwasher has any).
- Water softener can be put in the wrong place – into the wrong compartment or to the bottom of the machine.
- Incorrectly chosen or loaded detergents. Another issue is the wrong proportion – more or less than required.
- Heavy contamination of the dishwasher itself – can you remember when was the last time you washed it?
- Damage to the water hardness sensor – the control module will display the appropriate error or send a signal to the control panel. Remember, all manufacturers have different symbols for different malfunctions. Bosch dishwasher error code signaling the lack of salt will not be the same as Samsung error code signaling the same problem.
Once you find the roots of the problem – it now is worth taking all measures to eliminate them.
The appliance should be reconfigured and reprogrammed to the optimal level of water hardness regulation. If there is no automatic configuration mode, refer to the online user manual for your dishwasher model.
- Check in the compartment for loading water softener – if it is empty, then you just need to fill it up.
- Try to remember if you spilled softener on the bottom of the machine or in another compartment, inspect the special compartment for it – it can be closed loosely or may have cracks.
- Check the presence and the dosage of detergent, rinse aid or special 3 in 1 detergent. And one more thing – 3 in 1 tablets are not good for the express washing program. If this problem arises again, replace the detergent.
- Clean your dishwasher including filters and sprayers and also check the seal on the door, the drain hose system and all other parts. The sequence and correctness of work can be found in the manual.
- Replace the water hardness sensors in the machine.