When we apply the saying that time is money to SMBs, it’s clear that business owners should optimize productivity. The more efficient managers and employees are in carrying out their tasks, the faster their companies will grow.
However, inspiring and organizing employees to stay productive is easier said than done. Every worker is different and business owners need to take those individual elements into account.
In this article, we’re going to explain the top five productivity hacks to help SMBs become as efficient as it gets.
1) Organized project management
SMB-owners need to properly organize their projects and tasks within their projects. This means that every employee needs to know their short-term and long-term tasks.
Apart from that, managers and workers alike need to know what deadlines are in order to finish their work on time.
Business owners should define who can communicate directly with clients and gather the information important for project management and deadlines.
Asana, Trello, Basecamp, and other project management tools are here to alleviate this process. SMB-owners using these solutions are able to distribute business tasks to their workers more efficiently. What’s even more important, they can track progress and react if they notice that some teams or employees have been stalling their activities.
Finally, business owners can add their clients to projects so they have a constant insight into the entire work process.
2) Timely communication and collaboration
Time management lies at the heart of business productivity. If the SMB owner and their employees communicate everything in a timely manner, they enhance their efficiency, and accelerate the work operations.
In line with that, ensuring fast communication and collaboration is one of the key prerequisites for productive work.
Here are the key features that business owners should use for that matter:
- Collaboration tools. Business owners need to opt for one or more business collaboration tools. While project management tools are here to ensure proper task assignments and supervision, Microsoft Teams, Slack and other options are here to ensure seamless communication and collaboration. You can make conference calls and organize meetings via those solutions. They can communicate with their colleagues and team leaders via chats and calls to clarify what any dilemmas they have regarding their tasks.
- Email. Email is still an important service in business communication and collaboration. Business owners and managers can use it to send both group and individual emails in line with their current needs. Email is a practical tool for sending business newsletters or company bulletins, as well.
- Chat solutions. WhatsApp, Viber, Google Hangouts, and Messenger are only some of the chat options that can enhance business communication within the same team or between different teams and colleagues.
3) Note-taking applications
Business owners, team leaders, and employees all need to take notes during their meetings and work activities. For instance, copywriters and blog authors usually keep swipe files where they record the most important ideas regarding their writing tasks.
Managers that negotiate terms and conditions of projects with potential customers need to prepare some notes before the meeting and take new ones during the meeting.
This is where note-taking apps come in handy. These tools help businesspeople take and organize their notes. Also, they can easily export them to email, Word, or any other business tool.
The more useful notes you collect and the better you organize them, the more they contribute to business efficiency.
4) Curbed procrastination
As reported by Small Business Trends, 33% of SMB owners in the US don’t have the same level of passion and motivation for their business they had when they launched their venture.
Likewise, employees start losing interest for their job after a while. When managers and workers aren’t focused on their work tasks, they tend to procrastinate and waste their time at work.
Here’s what business owners can do to prevent procrastination:
- Offer flexible hours. When workers can organize their work hours in line with their personal life, they tend to be more productive. Some employees might be more productive in the morning. Others produce better results in the afternoon. Business owners should let their employees work when during their most productive time oft the day. Still, specify how many hours a day they need to be logged in to ensure that they retain a certain work structure.
- Make clear promotion rules. Money is one of the strongest motivators without any question. Therefore, business owners should make clear promotion rules so that every employee knows what business results brings promotions and raises.
- Divide complex tasks into smaller ones. Employees often claim that they’re slow with their activities because they get too complex tasks. Business owners who don’t recognize that will struggle to deliver their projects on time. This is where project managers make a difference. Together with business owners or team leaders, they split complex projects into simpler tasks and distribute them to teams and individuals.
- Provide additional benefits for employees. School and college grants for kids, special presents for kids’ birthdays, and additional bonus payments for holidays are only some of the perks that can motivate workers to be more productive.
5) Website monitoring
Every business owner needs to supervise their business website to see how it adds to the overall business productivity. The more potential users you generate that way, the more efficient your website is.
The Web experts behind a Web design company in Houston say that business owners should start from website organization. They need to present the vital business information in a clear and simple way. Website sections need to be properly arranged and visitors should feel that they’re moving through the website without any obstacles.
Constant tracking of users’ behavior on the website is also important. If you notice that they quickly leave some parts of the website, double-check the quality of the content on those pages.
The more knowledge and time business owners dedicate to their website at the beginning, the sooner the website will start delivering assets to its owner and additional value to its visitors.
Business productivity is one of the buzzwords of the 21st century. A variety of different tools are here to enhance productivity and make business owners more satisfied with their efforts. The productivity hacks above will help SMB owners improve their organization and keep their employees satisfied while reaching their business goals.