Several developer previews and Beta versions were released, the official version of Android TV/Google TV Android 12 has finally been released.
Android TV 12 is a great improvement over the previous version and provides several major features and improvements. It brings a redesigned UI, supports 4K UI rendering, dynamic refresh rate switching, background blur, improved support for HDR format and surround sound format, Android 12 style microphone and camera indicator to enhance privacy, and more.
- Switching the refresh rate during playback no longer shows motion jitter
- Accuracy of certified API for reporting display mode, HDR format, and surround sound format
- Use RenderEffect and WindowManager for background blur
- 4K UI support
- Accessibility settings for font size
- Google Android TV 12 official version released: support 4K UI, privacy function improved
Privacy and security:
- Microphone and camera indicator
- Microphone and camera switch
- Device authentication through Android KeyStore API
- Android 12 for Android TV microphone and the camera toggle
HDMI & Tuner:
- Support HDMI CEC 2.0
- Tuner HAL 1.1 with DTMB support and performance improvements
- Use Tuner Service to provide a better protection model
This is the final version, it is still aimed at developers, which means that ordinary users cannot download it on Chromebox or Android TV. They need a device called ADT-3, which is an Android TV adapter for developers.
Google said that existing ADT-3 developer devices will automatically receive Android TV 12 OTA, or you can click here to manually download the mirror and flash in. Android TV 12 for ordinary users is expected to be available in early 2022.