If you’re trying to set up a VPN on your phone, while it may sound complicated, it’s actually quite simple and a must-have if you’re big on security. There are just a few steps you need to take in order to make sure you are fully protected while browsing on your mobile device.
What Is A VPN?
A VPN stands for the virtual private network and has the ability to reroute traffic through a server with an encrypted connection so no one else can see what you’re doing while browsing the web. VPN’s are most often used by corporations to protect sensitive data because what used to be face-to-face interaction now takes place over the internet but as of recently, more and more daily internet users are turning towards VPNs to ensure the protection of their sensitive and personal data as well.
Why Do You Need A VPN?
The primary reason you need a VPN is for security purposes, a VPN secures you from hackers and intruders that would otherwise have access to your important and sensitive information like your computer files, passwords, and even bank information. If connecting to public Wi-Fi is something you usually do, you are leaving your information up for grabs by hackers who are able to create fake networks, that if you connect to, the intruder can see everything your doing and in extreme cases even withdraw funds from your bank account. Having a mobile VPN keeps your pocket-sized personal data archive secure.
VPNs also allow users to access geographically restricted services such as Hulu or Netflix if they are in a country that currently restricts it. This is done by giving their IP Address the appearance that it’s coming from the United States.
A mobile VPN is also great for blocking retargeting ads which not only invade your privacy but can cause an annoyance as well.
Some Precautionary Measures To Take Before Using A VPN On Your Android
Setting up a VPN on your android is a pretty straightforward process but before you begin setup it is important to backup your device, should anything go wrong. Also, be sure that your phone percentage is above 50 percent to avoid your phone dying during setup.
Also, be sure to choose a reliable and well-backed VPN service that is fast, reliable and does not sell your information to third-party advertisers. You can find this information out by checking their EULA.
How To Set Up A VPN On An Android From Settings
- From the home screen go to the Settings app.
- Under “Network & Internet” or “Wireless & Networks” depending on the type of phone you have, select “More”.
- Select “VPN”
- Tap the plus button in the upper right-hand corner.
- Usually, your VPN service will have all of the necessary information you need to enter. You can either use the default name given to you by the network administrator or manually enter a name.
- Enter all of your necessary protocol information or leave as is if it automatically populates.
- Click “Save”
- Connect to your VPN by going back to the VPN settings and selecting the VPN network you just set up and enter your username and password.
This works on a smartphone as well as a tablet.
Connecting To A VPN From An App
How you connect to your desired VPN from an app will depend on exactly which VPN provider you choose but most VPN apps will generally have a similar setup.
- Follow the link given to you by your VPN provider to download their app or you can download a reputable VPN app from the Google Play Store.
- Check out the user reviews before you download it to see what kind of experience others are having with the service.
- If you are happy with what you find, you can then press “Install” and begin the download.
- Check the permissions that the app requires and see if you need to make in-app purchases for certain features, usually you’ll need to. Checking the EULA agreement is critical to making sure your information won’t be sold after using the VPN.
- Once the app downloads and installs on your device, launch the app and sign-in. Once you are in the app, just select a server you’d like to connect to.
How To Test Your VPN
Once you are fully connected to your VPN, the android will display a small key icon in the top notification bar, this just lets you know you’re protected.
Checking For IP Leaks
The newer versions of Android include a kill switch that is built-in and works with virtually any VPN.
- Make sure your VPN is completely turned off, then go to your device Settings.
- Click on the gear icon beside the connection you intend to set a kill switch for.
- Click the toggle to turn on both “Block connections without” and “Always-on VPN”.
- Confirm that you would like a kill switch for your VPN.
After that, you’re all done!
6 Of The Best VPN Services To Choose From
Here are some of the most popular and reliable VPN services available today.
- Express VPN
- Nord VPN
- IP Vanish
- CyberGhost VPN
Setting up your VPN is not difficult. It’s just a matter of knowing which provider you want through checking reviews and other user experiences. Following the steps above will ensure that you have full protection on your mobile devices at all times.
There are many VPNs currently available that will allow you to see how fast their connection is. Usually, the default server provided by the company is the fastest they have available
If you notice a bit of a slowdown in your connection speed, this is completely normal because data is being rerouted and encrypted but if you choose a reliable VPN, the slowdown will be so minimal you may not even notice it.
Once connected you can safely and securely browse the web from your mobile phone and feel safe while doing so.