If you are running a business and enjoying constant and comprehensive inbound and outbound communication without digging a hole in your pocket, then the chances are high that you must be using a cloud phone system. This also implies that you are already aware of its power and viability.
However, there is still a lot to know about it.
If you are aware of facts like what the key components are, how it works, and what the expansion capabilities are, you are likely to churn out more benefits from your regular local phone number.
Here is our layman’s guide to the cloud phone system to have its better understanding.
Wait. Before we start, let us have a clear and precise definition of the cloud-based phone system.
The cloud-based phone system is a type of VoIP or Voice over Internet Protocol that uses internet connection for voice transmission. It is often referred to as virtual PBX, cloud telephony, or cloud PBX, as well. In a cloud-based phone system, all the essential hardware and software equipment are deployed over cloud space and can be accessed from anywhere.
Is it different from a traditional PBX system?
Yes. It is way more than different. It is a whole new communication means. Here is how it differs from your regular landline phone system. Do you know what is SD-WAN ?
- A traditional PBX system is good enough to connect employees and workers working under one roof. It is unable to connect people working on-site and beyond the office premise. As cloud telephony uses cloud space for operations, it can be accessed from anywhere and connect employees/workers beyond any geographical boundaries.
- The aging PBX also demands a lot of maintenance while every maintenance and updates related to cloud telephony will be taken care of by VoIP service provider only.
- Traditional PBX communication is mostly hardware-based, while cloud telephony is software-based.
What your cloud-based phone’s control panel can do?
Most of the time, people think that businesses are adopting a cloud-based phone system just to reduce costs. However, the reality is far-flung. There are many things that a cloud-based phone system can do which were unimaginable while using a traditional PBX system, such as –
- It can receive calls from many local phone numbers in one go.
- You can assign various internal extension numbers to stay accessible from any part of the world.
- It can auto-forward the call to landline and VoIP phone number with equal ease.
- Direct voice mailbox that could be accessed remotely, from anywhere.
- Instant notifications about any operation.
- Handle unified communication from a centralized place.
- You can implement time and caller routing scenarios based upon the need of the hour.
- Direct DID inward and outward calling.
A quick overview of cloud phone control panel
The core of such a great functionality of a cloud-based phone system is its user-friendly control panel. Here is its quick overview –
- Object – One of the main things of your cloud-phone control panel is the object. Here, each object is assigned to do specific tasks like voicemail, call forwarding, call routing, and many more.
- Palette – By palette, we mean the menu that contains all the various objects used in building the cloud PBX. It will be on the left side of the screen.
- Workspace – It is an area where all the objects are arranged or assembled.
- Workspace Tab Menu – It is used to display different pages of your PBX workspace.
- Cable – It logically connects all the objects.
- Trash – It contains the objects removed from the main workspace.
The caveats of cloud communication
Though the viability of cloud telephony is unquestionable, there are still some issues that come with your VoIP subscription. Due to the lack of stable internet connection, you can face poor voice quality, jitter, and data loss. Also, there can be some blank data transmission. However, these can be resolved by getting the VoIP phone number from the leading VoIP service providers. Also, having a trial on a testing network is a great way to ensure quality service.
Things to be taken care of while choosing the cloud phone system
We all know that switching to cloud communication is the need of the hour these days. However, certain things need to be taken care of before you make the transition. The first thing is the credibility of the VoIP phone number provider. Choosing the right VoIP service provider is the key to successful cloud telephony implementation. So, do a little bit of market research before concluding.
The next thing is mobility. Your cloud telephony will be a great deal only if it can operate from the mobile. With the help of a VoIP mobile app, your agents can handle a call from anywhere, ensuring no call goes unanswered. We guess this is what you wanted at first.
Last but not least, you should pay attention to the features. Cloud telephony offers ample of features. Make sure you are paying for what you are using.
So, now, as you are well-versed in cloud telephony, go and grab one for you and start relishing over its ample benefits.