Ledger hardware wallets are cryptocurrency managing wallets that contain private keys to numerous crypto and other digital assets. The first Ledger wallet, Ledger Nano S was released in 2014 and it was succeeded by the Ledger Nano X released in May 2019. The most impressive thing about Ledger is that this small start-up idea has blown user’s minds with their enhanced security and increased storage. Moreover, they have sold more than 1 million Ledger hardware wallets till now.
Both Ledger wallets support all the major and common currencies including Bitcoin, Ethereum, Polkadot, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash, and other not so common ones as well. Users can also Descargar AplicaciÛn Monedero Ledger on their smartphones to manage everything efficiently on the go as well.
How do Ledger wallets work?
Generally, cryptographic keys are required to conduct successful transactions and other crypto-related activities. However, since these keys are online storage options, they are vulnerable to thefts and hacks that undoubtedly raises safety concerns.
To tackle this situation, Ledger created hardware wallets popularly known as the Ledger Nano X and Ledger Nano S to provide offline storage options to their users. Moreover, the Ledger Blue is a handheld device with Bluetooth connectivity for pairing and a touchscreen for easy handling. Since these are device-based storage alternatives, hacking these USB drives and gaining access is almost impossible.
The best thing about Ledger wallets is that they are much more than just storage devices. Users can perform other options such as sending and receiving bitcoin or running third-party apps. Furthermore, to provide additional security barriers, Ledger wallets require a 24-hour backup recovery phrase which helps to gain access if someone steals the device with the private key.
Ledger Nano S
Users can connect the Ledger Nano S resembling a USB pen drive to their laptops and computers. It is appropriately sized and comes with an in-built display that provides real-time messages and confirms fund transactions using physical buttons on the device.
This hardware wallet performs the primary function of securely holding user’s crypto holdings and addresses. It requires a 4-digit PIN every time someone plugs the device in and confirms with the user before completing transactions to prevent thefts. In addition to this, it is also compatible with Dashlane, GitHub, Dropbox, and Gmail.
The Ledger Nano S is compatible with Mac 10.8+, Linux, and Windows 7. Developers have strived hard to keep the setup process pretty simple and straightforward. Users just have to select a PIN and create their recovery phrase which we will talk about later in the article.
Ledger Nano X
Just like its predecessor Ledger Nano S, the Ledger Nano X is also a hardware wallet for cryptocurrencies. This Bluetooth enabled device combines the highest level of security with intuitive controls and increased storage to make offline management easier and swift.
Most importantly, the Bluetooth connection in Ledger Nano X is end-to-end encrypted which means your recovery phrase and private keys remain safe in a secure chip. Moreover, only the codes which you use to send or receive crypto travel via Bluetooth.
The Ledger Nano X comes with the capacity of downloading up to 100 applications for managing different cryptocurrencies. Moreover, more than 1500 tokens and 27 coins are supported by this device which gives you maximum control over your holdings and the Ledger Live app.
Download Ledger Wallet application
Ledger Live supports the Ledger Nano X and Ledger Nano S via Bluetooth and Ledger Blue. To manage more efficiently, users can also Descargar AplicaciÛn Monedero Ledger on Android and iOS with these minimal requirements:
- iOS 9
- Android 7 Nougat
Before installing the wallet application on your smartphones make sure you have downloaded and installed the Ledger Live app as well.
Step 1- Getting started
- Open the Ledger Live application on your device, tap on ‘Get Started’, and choose Ledger Nano X.
- Decide if you want to import your Ledger Live account, set up your device, or check the security list to see if the device is already set up.
- For Ledger Nano S and Ledger Blue, open the application on your phone, tap on get started, and choose your device.
Step 2- Set up the device
- If this is the first time you are using a hardware wallet, follow the instructions appearing on the screen to choose a PIN code and set your recovery phrase.
- Once the process is completed and the device is ready, do the needful in the security checklist in Ledger Live.
Step 3- Pairing the device
- Turn on the Bluetooth in your smartphone and Ledger hardware wallet and tap on Pair new Ledger Nano X in the Ledger Live application.
- For Android users, Ledger Live requires your location to pair the device.
- After choosing Ledger Nano X, a Bluetooth pairing request will appear on the screen with a pairing code on both devices.
- Press both buttons simultaneously on your Ledger hardware wallet to confirm pairing and the process will complete once Ledger’s secure server has thoroughly conducted security checks.
Step 4- Create a password
If the user is still having second thoughts about their digital asset’s safety, they can create a password to add another barrier between their holdings and data hackers. This is completely optional and adds an extra layer of security.
- Click on Set password, create an easy to remember password, and tap on ‘Confirm’.
- Enter your password for the second time and tap on the toggle to enable unlocking the Ledger Live app with your fingerprints or face.
- Although nothing will happen to their assets if the user forgets their password. But, they will have to reset Ledger Live and add all the accounts once again.
With Ledger hardware wallets, users can buy, sell, exchange, and above all, secure their cryptocurrencies from any corner of the world. All they have to do is Descargar AplicaciÛn Monedero Ledger on their smartphones, connect it with their hardware wallets, and Ledger Live and they are all set.