Learning how to access someone’s Facebook messages for free is usually exciting for most people.
However, few can tell if their own Facebook accounts were hacked. And this is a way more important skill to have.
But before we get into the nitty-gritty, it’s important to understand the “why” first.
Why Would Someone Want to Hack My Facebook Account?
There are tons of reasons why people might want to hack Facebook accounts. Nevertheless, they can be broadly categorized into three:
- To impersonate you
- To spy on you
- To get your information
Facebook is a haven for personal information. And depending on how much information you have online, someone might steal it and use it to impersonate you.
They can then use your identity to cause a lot of damage to your public reputation. In addition, they might also want to get information from your own friends.
To Spy on You
Also, someone may want to spy on you by reading your messages and viewing your private photos. In most cases, this is usually fuelled by worry, jealousy, or obsession.
However, it can also be for legitimate reasons. A good example is when a parent wishes to keep an eye on the kid’s online activities.
To Get Your Information
On the dark web, there are sites where people pay for unique usernames. They’ll thus hack your account, lock you out, then take over as theirs before selling it.
As you can already tell, there are several motives behind why someone may want to hack your Facebook account.
Regardless, learning how to fix hacked Facebook first is the smarter approach. And that’s precisely what we’ll be looking at next.
How Do I Know If My Facebook Account Was Hacked?
Some of the latest Facebook hacks are non-intrusive. And this means that you may not be notified when your account is hacked.
So, how do you know if you have a hacked Facebook account?
Well, there are a few places to start, and you can check for strange activity in:
- Your Facebook settings
- Your Facebook profile
- Your Facebook settings
Check Your Settings
The first place to look for evidence of a hacked Facebook account is in the settings section.
This is because Facebook usually keeps a log of all devices that logged into your account and their locations too.
To check if you’ve been hacked, below are the steps to follow:
- Step 1:Click on the arrow on the upper right-hand corner of your Facebook page. This will reveal a pop up menu.
- Step 2:From the pop-up menu, click on Settings and Privacy then navigate to Settings > Security and Login.
- Step 3:Under the section “Where You’re Logged In”, click on “See More” to view all devices that accessed your account.
- Step 4:If you notice a strange device, tap on the three dots beside it and click on “Not You”
- Step 5:Click on “Secure Account” and Facebook will guide you on how to make your account safer.
Look For Weird Activity on Your Profile
At times, hackers can also mess with your Facebook account by changing your details. If that’s the case, this is how to know if your Facebook account is hacked:
- Your name, birthday, email, or password have been changed yet you didn’t initiate the change.
- Some of the posts in your timeline were not written by you.
- The most recent messages sent out to your friends were not authored by you.
- Your account shows sent out friend requests to people you don’t recognize.
Generally, if you notice anything strange on your profile, it should be a cause for alarm.
Check Your Facebook Payments
The last place to perform a Facebook hack check is in the payments section. And it is important to make this check if you regularly make purchases on Facebook.
To get started on this, navigate to Settings and Privacy > Settings > Facebook Pay > Payments History. You can also check on Ads Payments under Settings too.
Look for any fraudulent charges or unrecognized activity in your payments history. If you notice any strange payments, contact Facebook through the Help Centre.
My Facebook Account Was Hacked – Now What?
Tips to Increase Your Facebook Account Security
You can always secure your Facebook account even further. Below are a few tips you should consider to increase your account’s security:
- Choose a good and lengthy password
- Always use two-factor authentication for logging in
- Set up login approvals
- Choose trusted friends to contact in case you’re locked out
- Get alerts whenever your account is used on an unfamiliar device
All in all, a hacked Facebook account is easy to spot. And this is because it’ll always have strange activities that you do not recognize. However, securing it is fairly easy once you know what to do if your Facebook account is hacked.